Leaders in Motion supports leaders and leadership teams who are transforming their social service agencies into high-performance organizations. A new breed of nonprofit leader simply wants more. You know who you are. Leading a highly regarded agency that consistently attracts funding is not enough. Your passion is client impact. You celebrate successes with your team while contemplating the next challenge.
Leaders understand that the secret sauce behind client impact is staff engagement and learning. In funder-driven agencies decisions tend to be centralized. In contrast, a culture of learning requires a seismic shift in management practices so that front line staff and supervisors become decision-makers. When the dust settles, staff actually feels accountable for client results.
Leading a shift to a learning culture is profound and exciting. A challenge? Yes. Possible? Absolutely. Better still, you don’t have to go it alone.
Barbara Blumenthal, Ph.D.
For the past twenty years I have worked with nonprofit leaders, funders, business leaders and researchers on improving organization performance. My passion is working with leaders who choose to bring performance management practices to the delivery of social services.
I am also engaged in a number of research projects about building the capacity of nonprofit agencies and leadership development. When time permits, I teach management to graduate students at Princeton University’s Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs. I hold a Ph.D. in Management from the University of Michigan. Below is a list of recent publications and presentations.
I bring deep knowledge of organization development and strategy to the practical and demanding world of social services, while continuing to develop my skills and gain new perspectives through ongoing professional development.
Publications and Presentations
- Arnova – A Framework to Compare Leadership Development Programs (2006)
- Arnova – A Summary of Research on Capacity Building (2006)
- Grantmakers for Effective Organizations – Strengthening Nonprofit Performance (2004).
- Alliance for Nonprofit Management – Structuring your MSO to Improve Consulting Impact (2004).
- Alliance for Nonprofit Management – Consulting Techniques that Support Sustainable Change (2004).
- Arnova – An Evaluation of CRE’s Capacity Building Program (2003).
- Arnova – High Impact Capacity Building (2003).
- Alliance for Nonprofit Management – Tools and Lessons from CRE’s Measuring Impact Study (2003).
- “Rethinking Capacity Building,” Foundation News & Commentary, May/June 2004.
- Investing in Capacity Building: A Guide to High Impact Approaches, New York: Foundation Center, November 2003.
- “Improving the Impact of Nonprofit Consulting,” Journal for Nonprofit Management, Volume 5, Number 1, Summer 2001.